Happy New Year…
and a belated Merry Christmas to y’all! I’ve been sort of off the grid, traveling and such, so that is the reason that I’ve been gone here.
Well, we’re here at the beginning of a new year. I like that word, beginning. When I think about beginnings, I get a picture like
this in my head. I’m going to try and remember this image as 2010 rolls along and try to picture hope and prosperity and happiness and belonging over the next dune. Because, in reality, I don’t know what is out there. Of course, none of us ever knows what is coming, but this next year for our family feels more uncertain than usual.
And that is saying something.
Jon will get his Ph.D. in May. What then? Will we stay in this house, in St. Louis? Yes, no, maybe? Employment changes, yes, no, maybe? Moving…..yes, no? Changes in the boys’ schools/educational plans…yes, no? Denial….yes, no?
You see my difficulties here.
Luckily, there is always something to distract me. Like, resolutions, for instance. I’m sort of pathetic when it comes to resolutions since mine are always the same, but I’ll share them anyway.
1. Stand up straight. By this I don’t just mean unhunch the old shoulders but have ballet posture, once again. Maybe I’ll pretend that Madame Gossett, my old ballet teacher, is around. That should do the trick on the posture thing.
2. Stomp my foot less. Also, related to this, swear less. Maybe I should take up a high-impact sport, as I suspect this will be difficult.
3. Keep learning. Cook new stuff. Write new stuff.
4. Read more.
5. Make the busters help out more. I can just hear the moaning now.
6. Throw more stuff away. Determine the elements that make up the pile of unknowns in my basement.
7. Finish stuff. Quilt, etc.
8. Smile more. 🙂
How about that for some mundane goals?
Alright, I’m going to rescue this boring post by telling y’all my menu to celebrate New Year’s.
Gin and Tonics, Chips with Homemade Pico de Gallo
Spicy Shredded Pork
Saucy Hopping John served over Cheese Grits
Sauteed Savoy Cabbage (or slaw, I can’t decide)
Upside-Down Apple Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream
Now tell me what y’all are cooking, eating, resolving and such. Thanks, always, for stopping by!